Friday, April 16, 2010

Recipe of the Day: Home Made Mashed Potatoes

I love mashed potatoes, especially the ones from KFC! But because I can't always buy from them, I researched on how to make my own mashed potatoes using real potatoes (although, you can always go for the instant version out of store-bought potato flakes...).


I got this idea from my mom's cookbook. And since I really don't follow measurements, this recipe isn't the exact version from the book. I'll be sure to update this with the book's title and author anyway, but not until after I visit my mom.


Ingredients:

1 clove of garlic
1 middle sized potato
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup Alaska evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dairy cream butter
1/2 tsp white pepper


1. Grate potato and place it in a saucepan. Add water, salt, garlic and butter.
2. Heat saucepan to boiling point before setting stove on low fire to allow potatoes to absorb all the water. I'm sorry, but I wasn't able to time this. Just keep checking saucepan! ;)
3. Once the potato absorbed all the liquid, remove the garlic clove.
4. Add milk and mash the potatoes. Lightly sprinkle white pepper and mix thoroughly.

It's the clove of garlic and the butter that made all the difference! No wonder that without it, my mashed potato just tasted like something my daughter ate when she was about 6 months!

If you want to add gravy, you can use the gravy recipe I used in making home made burger steak, which is a dupe for Jollibee's gravy. I'll still have to find out how to dupe KFC's gravy, so stay tuned!


your every woman,

0 comments:

Post a Comment